Getting dehydrated might not be a huge health threat. However, if you don’t act on it right away, it could lead to severe symptoms and even death. In places without access to clean drinking water, dehydration is fatal. When dehydrated, you need to replenish your body with water and take a rest. It also helps to have Berkey water filter review and guarantee the cleanliness of the water. Let’s start by determining the signs that you’re already dehydrated. To read an additional Berkey water filter review, check out the official website.
* You feel dizzy and nauseated. The lack of fluid in your body could be the reason why you feel dizzy and disoriented. Your body is made up mostly of water, and its absence could make you feel this way. You’re also nauseated because your organs aren’t functioning well.
* You have dry skin and mouth. Dryness of skin and mouth is also an indicator that you’re too dehydrated. Water retains moisture in these areas.
* Your urine is dark and you have a hard time urinating. Your water also aids the kidney in filtering toxins in your body. If you urinate and the fluid that came out is dark, you should drink more water. However, you shouldn’t confuse it with UTI since the symptoms are similar, but it’s a more severe issue.
* You have a rapid heartbeat. When you do physical activities, it’s easier for you to be dehydrated. It’s also the reason why you have a rapid heartbeat. You should immediately pause before moving forward with your exercise routine. You also need plenty of water.
Although the best thing to do is to drink a glass of water, it might not be available in some instances. These are the things to do to recover from dehydration.
Look for other fluids
If water is unavailable or you don’t like plain water, you can consider fresh fruit juices and smoothies. Make sure they don’t have additives and artificial sweeteners. You can take small sips every 30 minutes until your body has fully recovered. Soup is also an excellent alternative. It still contains water and it might do the trick. However, not all beverages are acceptable. Coffee and alcohol shouldn’t be used as an alternative since they will make you even more dehydrated. Sure, they contain fluids, but they have other components that will make you feel worse.
Find coconut water
Coconut water is even better than plain water in fighting dehydration. It contains potassium, amino acids, and calcium. It also contains natural electrolytes than are effective in fighting fatigue. Your recovery time will be faster when you take coconut milk. It’s too effective that it has been used for IV hydration. For athletes who have to use up their entire energy during training and competition, coconut water is perfect. You can buy bottled coconut water, but make sure it has no additives. Read the label to ensure that you’re getting the right one.
Look for foods containing high amounts of water
Some fruits and vegetables are mostly water, and they could be the best alternative to water for rehydration. Green leafy vegetables are perfect. Fruits such as watermelon and cantaloupe are also great. If you can find freshly squeezed juices and cultured dairy products, you can try them. As long as you choose a drink that contains little to no sugar, it works to help you rehydrate.
Take oral rehydration salts
If you see a doctor, you will most likely be given oral rehydration salts for quick recovery. You can easily obtain one in local pharmacies. They contain electrolytes to boost your hydration levels. They’re necessary when you already start to suffer from diarrhea and extreme dehydration. The salts help retain fluid balance in your body.
See a doctor
If your situation is already severe, you need to go to the doctor. Dehydration could be due to a lot of reasons, and you might have other accompanying health problems. Your doctor might also recommend you to have IV fluid hydration for quick recovery. Don’t hesitate to see your doctor if you still feel terrible, and you have recurring problems.
There are steps you can take to deal with the loss of water in your body. They might be effective in addressing your concern, but there’s a chance that you will be dehydrated again. It requires lifestyle changes to prevent the problem from ever happening.
* Always bring a bottle of reusable water. You need to have access to clean drinking water at all times. You will also be reminded to drink water since your bottle is close to you. When you already finished the entire bottle, you can refill it with clean water right away.
* Use a water filter. You need it so you don’t have to worry about where to find clean drinking water. Bottled water is the easiest solution people think about, but it’s not always available. You’re also supporting single-use plastic which is terrible for the environment. The water filter allows you to have clean water whenever you want one.
* Switch up your snacks. Instead of eating unhealthy sweet snacks, you can cut fresh fruits. You satisfy your cravings and hunger and replenish your body with water at the same time. These fruits also contain a lot of nutrients that make you healthier.
* Learn when to stop when exercising. There’s nothing wrong with pushing yourself to work hard at the gym. You need it to stay healthy and fit. You can’t see your goals if you’re too lazy. However, you should also know when to stop. When you’re already covered in sweat and you start to swallow your saliva, you should get rest and drink water. Otherwise, you will be dehydrated.
* Ditch alcohol and soda. Although they taste good, they do nothing good for your body. Try to stick with plain water whenever you’re thirsty. You can also have natural fruit juices if you’re bored with water. They’re excellent for your health. It might be difficult to let go of these addictive liquids, but you have to do. Apart from dehydration, you might also suffer from other health issues.
Hopefully, you immediately recover from dehydration and live a healthier lifestyle in the long run.