To preserve the life of your Berkey water filtration system, maintenance is a must. Depending on the time, amount of water, and the contaminant level in your water, the filters have a limited life cycle. What you need to do is ensure that the entire system is in excellent working condition all the time. That way, your filter can serve you for many years to come. For more information on drinking water filtration, visit the official USA Berkey website
Today, we are going to cover maintenance tips for your water purifier. This comprehensive guide will allow you to determine how to take care of your water filter properly.
Why should you clean your water filter?
A water filter needs regular maintenance because bacteria and other minerals can build up. The main job of your water filter is to keep your water fresh and pure. Hence, you need to make sure that the system itself is clean.
If you don’t clean your water filter, here are the following scenarios that can happen:
- Bacteria and microbes mix into your water
One of the main reason why you should change your water filter is because bacteria and microbes can get into the water. Replacing filters will remove the pathogens from the water.
- Your water becomes harder
The mineral content will differentiate hard water from soft water. Hard water contains high levels of calcium. Soft water has higher levels of sodium.
While hard water is safe to drink, it can be harmful to your home appliances. Hence, most households prefer soft water because it is gentle on the plumbing and body.
So, if you are using water filter to soften your hard water, neglecting it will defeat its purpose in the long run.
- Toxins will break through your water
Water filters are designed to get rid of toxins from your water. Hence, it is very crucial that you choose water filter that can remove heavy metals and poisons from the water. These heavy metals can be dangerous to your health and even considered as neurotoxins.
Each time you are using your filter, you’re wearing it out. Hence, it is crucial that you replace it regularly otherwise it will contaminate your supply of water.
- It changes the taste of the water
Most people buy water filter to enjoy a better-tasting water in their household. Not replacing the filters will affect water’s taste. You can easily determine it because hard water has a metallic aftertaste. Soft water has a salty aftertaste. Chlorine is one of the main culprits that can change the odor and taste of your water.
Regular replacement of the filters will ensure that the taste of your water remains. You can also take it as a cue when to change the filters. As soon as you notice a difference in the taste of your water, you should replace your filters right away.
Maintaining your water filter
Here are the following tips to keep in mind when maintaining your water filter:
- Change the filters regularly
Most water filter system has up to five filtration stages. These filters require replacement regularly otherwise impurities will build up and affect its functionality.
- The first stage of filtering removes the sand and other big sediments. This stage is meant to preserve the osmosis membrane from damages. Hence, you need to change the pre-filter cartridges every six months.
- The second stage involves the carbon filter to remove the bad aftertaste, smell, and chlorine from the water. Chlroine can damage the membrane over time. Hence, it also needs replacement every six months.
- The last stage is called the reverse osmosis stage. The residual sediments are removed from the water. Ideally, you should change your membrane every three years. Or you can also call experts from the Berkey company to help you with the replacement. The condition of your membrance will depend on the water supply in your area.
- Clean your water filtration system regularly
Your water filtration system also requires professional cleaning now and then. The water purifier will have to go through a sanitization every year. This must be done by the professionals but if you have prior technical knowledge when it comes to cleaning water filters, you can buy sanitization kits from your local store.
Here are the following steps to clean your water filter manually:
- Shut off the main water supply and turn off the valve.
- Once it has been disconnected, you can use the sanitization kit to clean the tank inside. Most water filter system comes with a user manual so you can refer to it when cleaning.
- After the tank is clean, do one last check before reassembling it once again.
- Turn back the water supply on.
- Give it some time before you drink water right after cleaning the system.
- Install a softener to improve functionality
Water-hardening minerals can cause damage to the membrane in the long run. Hence, you should consider investing in a water softener. The softener will safeguard the membrane and increase the durability. Adding softener may require the help of professionals because it involves plumbing and knowing exactly where to place it. DIY is not recommended for this maintenance process.
- Remove any visible dirt
The inside should be as clean as the outside. The exterior of your water purifier should always be cleaned. You can use warm, soapy water to clean the exterior. The tap connected to the purifier should also be cleaned and free of any dirt.
You have the option of contacting a professional to do the cleaning or you can do it yourself. Some procedures are easy and can be done without the assistance of a professional. However, there is also the risk of ruining the water purifier during the reassemble. Using organic sanitizing materials can also help in maintaining your tank in the long run.
- Set a schedule for cleaning your water filter
Most manufacturers recommend cleaning your water filter every six months. However, there are factors that can affect this time frame.
For instance, if your water supply gives you hard water that is full of sediments, then you should consider cleaning it monthly. Professionals also agree that changing your filters every two weeks is highly recommended.
As soon as you notice a difference in taste or smell of your water, change the filters immediately. If it does not work, you may refer to the user’s manual for references.
Proper maintenance of your water filter will provide you a clean supply of water in the long run. Depending on the model of Berkey water system you have at home, the maintenance tasks will vary. Cleaning your water filter regularly will ensure that your family is drinking safe and healthy water anytime.